E-mail MeKara Francis
Kara Francis graduated Summa Cum Laude from Ohio State University in 2011, receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree as a double-major in English and French studies. As a student at Ohio State, Kara was a member of the Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Fraternity and Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society. She also played on the women's club volleyball team and participated in an 8-week study abroad summer program in France.
Upon her graduation from Ohio State, Kara went straight into law school at DePaul University College of Law in the fall of 2011. While at DePaul, Kara earned several CALI awards for the following courses: Contracts; Legal Writing I & II; Marital Dissolution Process; Legal Drafting: Matrimonial Law; and Corporate Tax. She was also a member of the DePaul Law Review her second and third years of law school. Her article, A Remedy Beyond Reach: The Stringent Standard in Illinois for Exclusive Possession of the Marital Home During Divorce Proceedings, was selected for publication in the DePaul Law Review, Spring 2014, Issue 3. As a law student, Kara held part-time positions as an intern at The Law Offices of Rinella & Rinella Ltd. and a judicial externship with The Honorable Veronica Mathein in Cook County, Domestic Relations Division. Kara graduated from DePaul with her juris doctor in Spring 2014, graduating with Summa Cum Laude honors as well as Order of the Coif.
Following her graduation from DePaul, Kara took and passed the Illinois Bar Exam in the summer of 2014. She began her first post-graduate employment position in August 2014 at Deloitte Tax LLP as a consultant in its Chicago Multistate Tax Practice. During her time at Deloitte, Kara provided state tax compliance services, with a focus on flow-through entities (partnership and S-corporations) and some corporate compliance work. She also assisted in various consulting projects, which entailed conducting research and analysis of state tax consequences to identify more advantageous state tax positions and significant refund opportunities for prospective and preceding return years, respectively. Kara also assisted on mergers and acquisitions projects by conducting research and analysis of applicable state tax consequences of proposed entity transactions. In her spare time at Deloitte, Kara participated in its on-site Big Brothers, Big Sisters program.
After working at Deloitte from August 2014 - October 2015, Kara realized how much she truly missed the world of family law, particularly working at Rinella & Rinella. Although she had gleaned immense knowledge and made life-lasting colleagues at Deloitte, she was ready to return to her true passion of practicing law, particularly in domestic relations. Kara is truly happy and excited about the wonderful opportunity to return to work as an Associate Attorney at Rinella & Rinella.
- Illinois, 2014
- DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- Juris Doctor summa cum laude - 2014
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Honors: Earned CALI Award for for the following courses: Contracts; Legal Writing I & II; Marital Dissolution Process; Legal Drafting: Matrimonial Law and Corporate Tax
- Honors: A Remedy Beyond Reach: The Stringent Standard in Illinois for Exclusive Possession of the Marital Home During Divorce Proceedings, was selected for publication in the DePaul Law Review, Spring 2014, Issue 3
- Honors: Intern, The Law Offices of Rinella & Rinella Ltd.
- Honors: Judicial Externship with The Honorable Veronica Mathein in Cook County, Domestic Relations Division
- Law Review: DePaul Law Review, Member
- Ohio State University
- Bachelor of Arts - 2011
- Honors: Member, Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Fraternity
- Honors: Member, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Honors: Women’s Club Volleyball Team
- Honors: Participated in an 8-week study abroad summer program in France
- Major: English
- Major: French studies
Past Employment Positions
- Deloitte Tax LLP, Consultant, Chicago Multistate Tax Practice, 2014 - 2015